Quantcast

Plastic repair

TapBoss

So, coming down a trail this weekend I heard a noise I did not like.  When I got to the bottom I stopped and got out to look around.  I had a cedar branch sticking out of the passenger side in front of the rear tire.  This branch poked out 2 pretty good sized holes.  I was able to recover one piece from the topside of the skid plate and found one other small piece on the trail but I am still left with a couple golf ball sized holes in my plastic. I've found a couple products online, something called plasti-hair and some bondo for plastic bumpers.  Anyone have any experience with either of these or another suitable way to repair the remaining holes?  

I was able to superglue the one big piece I recovered and it stayed on the rest of the weekend.

Last winter I did something similar. I was motoring through some brush when a branch drove through the passenger side floor panel popping out a chuck of the black plastic floor just where the passenger would have put their feet if they were with me. I was able to salvage the piece and glue it back with a product called, "Permatex Black Plastic Welder Epoxy" I also patched it over on the outside with a layer of  drywall tape saturated with this epoxy. It is still together as if I patched it together yesterday.

10 hours ago, aefron88 said:

In my experience with "structural" items that may see a lot of flex or pressure the best bet is to use something like this.

bondo doesnt flex enough and will fall off, certain epoxies may be ok in lower stress situations. The staple welder style tool above gives the plastic real structure to stay together long term.

Thanks for the info, saved it for later. 
Walked our trail again today, didn’t find anymore pieces though. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By fishhouse3
      FOR SALE: 2021 CFMOTO ZForce 800 Trail with many extras and full warranty until 2027. Only 625 miles and 50 hours of use.
      In great condition, has a clean title and one adult owner. Has had all scheduled regular maintenance and has not been abused. Only used about six times on weekend trips to Hatfield-McCoy trails in WV.
      Under full CFMOTO Care bumper-to-bumper extended warranty until 8/2027 (paid $1,600). Full service and tune up just completed with new clutch, drive shaft, belt, rollers, etc (paid $1500). Plus it comes with over $3,500 in upgrades and accessories! Way too many included items to list here (see last pics for full details).
      This machine is ready to go and needs nothing - just hop in and hit the trails!  I have over $20k invested in this machine. Priced VERY fair to sell quick at less than half that!!!
      $9,999 WITHOUT warranty -OR- $10,999 WITH full extended warranty until 8/2027.
      Located in Chesterfield, VA 23832. Message me for more pics and info!

• By Brett
      Fuel injected 700 starts great and idles great but touch the gas and it dies
    • By Browner010
      Recently I had an overheating issue on my 2022 Coleman Outfitter 550 (Hisun UT550) and to check to make sure it was fixed I took it out for a ride around the block. After a couple cycles on the LED coolant meter, I took it for a couple mile ride and on my way back I heard a loud metallic snap then a grinding noise. It was still able to move under its own power but very slowly. I was about 2 blocks from the truck so 'I limped it home and up onto the trailer. I know I need to tear it apart and look for what broke, but anyone have a guess as to where to start? I'm seriously getting tired of this damn machine! 750 miles on it and already replaced the belt, wet clutch, primary clutch, clutch roller weights among a few other things. Seriously, this friggin machine has spent more time on the lift than on the road. I thought I bought this new because it was from the owner of a tractor supply, but he registered it under the stores name making me the 2nd owner voiding any and all warranties.
      Any Ideas what to look for would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By Chas
      When traveling in the 40 mph range and throttle is released machine starts surging instead of a gradual slow down any help would be appreciated as dealer is clueless