Quantcast

Coleman 550 Loose Timing Chain

Copperline

I have a Coleman 550 (hisun). Wouldnt start and was sucking instead of blowing through the spark plug hole. Got to the timing chain and it was very loose and for sure the timing was way off. Got the tensioner off and set it to TDC and got the cam gear back aligned. Put the chain back on and set the tensioner as instructed and the chain is still very loose. I extended the tensioner as far as it would go to test and the chain is still loose. 

Any ideas what could be broken or wrong? Why would the chain be so loose?

• Alex changed the title to Coleman 550 Loose Timing Chain
9 hours ago, Copperline said:

I think you are right. 

I'm just getting into the process of replacing it and struggling to get the flywheel nut off. 

get some paracord or small rope, remove a spark plug, insert the rope into the plug hole until the cylinder is full (won't take anymore), remove the nut.

i've used this method many many times.

I ended up just fabricating a tool to make it work. A 16" pice of thick steel plate about 4 inches tall. Drilled a big hole about 3" from one end to allow the socket to fit and then two outside holes to put long bolts into the flywheel (I removed two of the flywheel allen bolts). This allows the tool to jam against the frame of the cart and I was able to remove the nut easily with no damage. 

• Like 1

I replaced the timing chain as well as the oil chain. Hopefully that does it. Working on this inside the frame has been horrible. I cracked an oil gear tooth trying to keep the engine from turning while trying to get the flywheel off. Two years is really too short of a time to have to be tearing this apart for chains. 

• 3 months later...

107 hours. 

Make sure you change the oil chain while you are in there.

It was a horrible process. Lots of home made tools because I did it with the engine still in the cart. 

Unreal that the chains are such garbage to crap out at 100 hours. The cart still looks brand new.

Be careful re-fitting the case cover that its flush before you start tightening the bolts. There are so many possible catch points (water pump) that you might think its on and start tightening and then CRACK as you crack the case. As me how I know!

16 minutes ago, Copperline said:

107 hours. 

Make sure you change the oil chain while you are in there.

It was a horrible process. Lots of home made tools because I did it with the engine still in the cart. 

Unreal that the chains are such garbage to crap out at 100 hours. The cart still looks brand new.

Be careful re-fitting the case cover that its flush before you start tightening the bolts. There are so many possible catch points (water pump) that you might think its on and start tightening and then CRACK as you crack the case. As me how I know!

Thanks for responding.  The one here shows 200 hrs.  The chain is sloppy loose with the tensioner at full extension.  I've told the owner that it makes no sense to do all the work necessary to replace both chains, as there's no reason to think the new chains will be an improvement over the current ones....  The chain appears to be too small for the application, as it is much smaller than motorcycle timing chains, but about the size of 50cc scooter chains.  In any case, I won't consider trying to do that work with the engine still in place......

• 9 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 6:25 AM, Copperline said:

I replaced the timing chain as well as the oil chain. Hopefully that does it. Working on this inside the frame has been horrible. I cracked an oil gear tooth trying to keep the engine from turning while trying to get the flywheel off. Two years is really too short of a time to have to be tearing this apart for chains. 

Where were you able to find the 2 chains. I found a couple places that have the timing chain at ridiculous prices and one place for the oil pump chain but not SURE it’s the right chain. Ideas?