Quantcast

2006 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 H1 won't idle

Kidsskipp

Getting my prowler to a running stage and can't figure out why it won't idle without throttle. Also see fuel spitting out air intake while running. High speed runs rough as well. I've done many things (that were needed) but it hasn't helped. New plug, rings (120 lbs compression luke warm), timing chain, valve job. Even tried a cheap new carb. Thinking I may be off a tooth on the timing but it looks pretty dang close. anyone see this issue before?

• Kidsskipp changed the title to 2006 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 H1 won't idle
  • 2 weeks later...

Arctic cat v-twins are notorious for the choke sticking, replace cable, plungers and springs.

If the little rubber boot on lever is ripped change it too or ypull get water in the cable.

Id reinstall the factory carbs. Also idle mixture screw is super finnicky set it with engine well warmed and deal with crappy long warm up time.

Well not really, choke problems will still cause aall the same issues so its worth checking.

If its not a fix id double check timing, remeber to finger in the chain where the tensioner goes after setting to remove chain slack and double check marks.

I also install head cover temporarily with 4 center bolts snug not torqued and rockers slacked off to hold cam same with tensioner finger tight on bolts.

Then rotate engine one cycle, 720 degrees oor 2 turns, then remove everything and recheck timing.

If you have a friend you can hold cam in place with one hand finger tension chain with other and have them rotate engine... slowly! Then rechecking saves ssome time but sometimes the cam will move.

Unless chain is stretched badly they sould essentially be bang on, even with stretch and marks not perfect, one tooth off is quite obvious.

Also be aware some models have a mark on flywheel at F for fire, ignition timing, another at T for TDC make sure you have the right mark or your beating a dead horse.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Kingfish
      The conversion took about 350lbs. off the vehicle.  It never rode great, but now I feel every  crack in the road.  I have backed off spring compression nut to the point just under where they would move around if suspension was at full extension, but it is still very stiff.  I would like to put some softer coilover springs on it, but I have no idea what the spring rate is with the original springs so I would just be guessing on what to order.  Does anyone have the data for the original spring compression rate?  I am willing to give up a little ground clearance for a softer ride. Right now when sitting still the rear suspension is at or near full extension and the rear tires have several degrees of camber which will cause uneven wear if allowed to continue in this state.
    • By Hutch
      Okay everyone, need some help here. I got my 2014 Bennche Bighorn 700 from my father inlaw. He has had it since new and as far as I know never had any problems with it until recently. It began with it being hard to start and having to give it some throttle for it to start up. Then it wouldn't stay running once it did start. If you go to start it, it will fire right off and only run for a split second and then die. If you give it some throttle it will start and stay running as long as your foot is on the pedal. While it's running its pretty rough and backfires. Here is a list of everything I've done so far. Initially I checked compression and it was low. I changed the cylinder, piston and rings. Took the head apart cleaned and laped the valves. Checked timing a few times. Adjusted the valves. New spark plug. Checked the air filter, it was fine. New battery. Changed the fuel pump because of a broken fitting. Changed the fuel filter, lines and fuel injector. Dumped the old fuel and put new in. Changed the air idle control, TPS, MAP sensor, Voltage Regulator, ECU and harness. I was getting codes 31, 107, 113 and 122 on the display. Once I changed the ECU no more codes have been displayed but still have the same issues. All fuses look good and as far as I can tell Grounds are good unless there are some I can't find. I'm at a loss here. Not really sure where to go. Compression was better after everything I did but I don't remember the numbers. I'll have to check it again if someone thinks that could be the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • By 2scoops
      I am in need of an IAC for my throttle body. I contacted JMC and they said I had to buy the whole throttle body for $209. I left a message at Joyner USA...they haven't called back. I found a Chinese company which have them for $17, but shipping is $32. With that I still have to hope it is the correct one which arrives.
      Does anyone happen to have one laying around they would sell?
      I understand a workaround would be to eliminate it and use the idle screw. I believe that would cause problems with cold start ups??? Elevation changes???
    • By Fordman1
      Cleaned fuel filter and am replacing mechanical fuel pump. Unbolted but can't get fuel pump out. Shaft sticks out and fuel pump hits axle and won't come out. Anyone had this problem?