Quantcast

Rear differential lock won't turn off

Go to the front diff.  2 connectors......Key Off......pull both connectors......Key ON....light go out or stay on?  Goes out, the front diff switch encoder is in 4WD position.  Light stays on, chase a ground in the harness.

You need to determine what selection position the front diff RACK slide gear selector in in.......You might possibly be in 4WD all the time.  Problems seen were a corn stalk tearing the harness, trash in the switch encoder, busted nubbin o. the rack, Critter eating the wires (insulation).  You just have to look see.  Info is to help guide in the search for the reason.

Raise ALL 4 wheels off the ground on jack stands. N for shift lever position/2WD for diff lock buttons/lever. 

Turn rear wheels one side at a time....turn together but nothing on the fronts.

Repeat on the front wheels for the 2WD position.......fronts turn freely.

3 and 4WD positions.....each front will lock to rear AND with the 4WD locking the fronts together along with the rear.

Go underneath Key ON but Motor not running and listen (at the front diff) for the little gear motor's short running time to change for the 2,3,4 selected.

If the rack and pinion RACK NUBBIN is busted....it gets tricky to replace and resync the rack position and motor stopped positions.  Remove the plastic gear changer housing and look at the rack that slides back and forth (L-Middle-R-) and selects 2,3,4WD functions.  Slide the rack with a finger and have someone turn the front wheels to determine if working.  Reassy......Easiest to "sorta center the rack position" in the diff.  Actually, slightly off center is what you want but I forgot which side to move it about a tooth distance  R or L to work the best.  Diff oil and O-ring to seal on the housing nose normal care in reassy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ridge Runner
      Hi
      i have a 2019 Coleman 550 Outfitter.  The tail gate has a pin on each side, that snaps into latch blocks that are mounted on the inside of the tail gate opening.  There are two M6x16 pan head screws(bolts?) that hold the latch blocks in place.  The screws enter from inside the bed body, and I can’t figure out how to access them.  This is right by the tail light assemblies.  I tried taking a pan head screw out of the fender lip, but found out there is not a nut firmly inplace, to hold the pan head screw in.  Bottom line I’m making it worse.  
      coleman was no help.  If I could figure out how they attached the tail light, then maybe I could put the latch screws in through the tail light hole.  Any ideas?

thanks
      Ridgerunner
    • By Alien10
      I added lights to the Coleman Outfitter 550 last fall.   I bought lights on line from Nilight, a 300 W  12" light bar mounted forward and 2 square 4" floods for the rear.  Those are mounted on the roof corners facing rear and downward just beyond the tailgate.  Nilights seem to be of high quality, as I've had them on my garden tractor for 5 years and still flood the way ahead with great light. 
      Both the front and rear lights provide amazing illumination making the OEM headlamps look like parking lights.  Made a connector for the front bar that plugs into existing headlamp switch so it is just part of that circuit controlled by the headlamp switch.   Rear work lamps were wired in using a rocker switch installed in the dash.  Backed up to the garden with the work lights and was able to harvest some tomatoes well past sunset. 
      What have you used if anything for auxiliary lighting on your UTV?

• By John Gubancsik
      I started my UT400 but forgot to buckel my seat belt.  It bogged down and then died.  Only way I could restart it was to press the gas pedal and if I let up on it, it stalls.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
    • Sell your car with CarBrain
    • By Browner010
      Recently I had an overheating issue on my 2022 Coleman Outfitter 550 (Hisun UT550) and to check to make sure it was fixed I took it out for a ride around the block. After a couple cycles on the LED coolant meter, I took it for a couple mile ride and on my way back I heard a loud metallic snap then a grinding noise. It was still able to move under its own power but very slowly. I was about 2 blocks from the truck so 'I limped it home and up onto the trailer. I know I need to tear it apart and look for what broke, but anyone have a guess as to where to start? I'm seriously getting tired of this damn machine! 750 miles on it and already replaced the belt, wet clutch, primary clutch, clutch roller weights among a few other things. Seriously, this friggin machine has spent more time on the lift than on the road. I thought I bought this new because it was from the owner of a tractor supply, but he registered it under the stores name making me the 2nd owner voiding any and all warranties.
      Any Ideas what to look for would be appreciated.
      Thanks