Quantcast

Bighorn 400cc jerking acceleration

ibike

Suspected a glazed over clutch bell or the clutch shoes and it appears I’m correct. The Bighorn explorer from TSC 400cc engine only has a dry centrifugal clutch. No wet clutch. Here’s some pics of what I found. 
Took some Emory cloth and removed the glazing and first ride feels good. Don’t know how long it’ll last but it sure is great now. 

IMG_2221.jpeg

IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2220.jpeg

Usually on a dry clutch you can get away with cleaning em up like you did if it's not too bad. The belt itself usually just rides on the sides, not on the flat bottom, which allows the CVT sheaves to grip the belt as they change sizes dynamically.

Any chance you're hauling heavy loads/plowing snow/towing or lots of low speed driving? Most of these things likely use a wet centrifugal clutch because of glazing/heat issues. Usually dry clutches are limited to really low HP applications like go karts or chainsaws because they tend to overheat and glaze like what you're seeing under heavy loads.

This dry clutch is twice the size of a go cart type clutch. Bigger shoes and bell. And I think you could be right about pulling too heavy a load. I do use it to pull a five x ten trailer around in the yard. Can’t remember if the jerking started before or after pulling that trailer. Probably won’t do that again for awhile till I see how it fairs after sanding the shoes and bell. The trailer weighs 900 pounds and the sxs is supposed to be okay up to 1200pounds. 
im actually leaning towards I pulled it before the clutch got broken in good. The glazing was mostly on 2/3 of the shoes and not on the edges. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.