Quantcast

DIY front implement mount for Coleman Outfitter 550????

A while back I was looking at an auction UTV plow and the mounting of it.  Looked like it had an "H" bar with two pins that hooked into brackets on the front frame of the UTV.   I have a bunch of 1/4" x2" angle iron, and some 2"x1/2" flat stock in the barn.   I was thinking of welding up a bolt on implement mount that would provide 2 holes about 14" apart, that pins could be used to hook up an "H" frame for a plow or even a straight bar across with pins to hold it in place.   The angle iron "A" would utilize the existing bumper mounting bolts front and bottom, and have the two channels "B" with holes for individual pins or one large bar across. Those channels would be welded to the ends of the angle iron. 

Anyone ever try this for a front mount?   It would be close to  this one that is for sale on the net.  It is supposed to fit a KFI plow mount.  

image.png.ffa17dc09a389dfb8d7ed68c2c5e1e8b.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why it wouldn't work, its attached solidly to the front of the frame distributing the load.

I'm a bit wary of mounting a snowplow or other pushing implements on these due to the issues people have with wet clutches already. Adding all that extra load at low speed is guaranteed excess clutch wear.

• Like 1

Ya, I guess the clutch is the main wear spot for heavy pushing.  I use a JD garden tractor to push snow, but have wondered about utilizing the UTV for that.   So far, I have only used this UTV for hauling wood from the woods to the barn for splitting.  I live on hillsides so there is a lot of work going up and down hills as it is. 

Several people on here have reported no issues pushing snow, I'm a bit skeptical myself that it won't cause a lot of wear long term.

There are quite a few reports of premature wet clutch wear, but there also seem to be a ton of people who are unaware they need wet clutch compatable oil, so it may be a result of friction modifiers. Hard to tell if these clutches really do wear easily or if it's just user error.

Good point.  I agree, the oil specs can be a little confusing.  The oil I bought for first oil change is designated for wet clutch application.  Found it at O'Reilly's near me. 

Gotta wonder how many folks really pay attention to that since I think I remember that the wet clutch shares the engine lube. 

• 3 weeks later...

Alien,

I think that is some of the cause of wet clutch issues reported on these units. Lots of people refuse to read a manual or understand what they're working with. It doesn't help that Hisun (and their branded distributors) give different oil specs in different literature.

Once the wet clutch wear starts, it progresses quickly. The worn off friction material in the oil i'm sure doesn't help lubricating other components either, which could be part of the common wear ("stretching") issues with timing chains too. If you do need to replace a wet clutch a full oil/filter change is required too to get that crap out of the crankcase.

• Like 1