Quantcast

Bulldog BD700 Engine Swap

I swapped out the Subaru motor for a Predator 670cc. If I remove the heat shield around the muffler, The stock muffler sits in there just fine with 1" to spare.

Only problem is the exhaust exit is toward the back seat instead of out the back.

Do you all think that the stock exhaust would be okay (just as effective) if cut a hole and welded a pipe on the reversed (opposite) end? Of course, plug the old exit end. Other option I thought of was to roll a tube 180° with a 7" center line radius and finish extention of 12" or so.

Any thoughts?

Question? Is that the original clutch from thr Subaru engine or did you replace it? I am looking for a clutch to replace mine. Long story. I am stepping down from a twin to a 420 Predator. Had the clutch off (Cvtech) and one of the shoes got misplaced. I purchased a smaller replacement but would like to use my wider drivebelt.  Why stepping down? I have  no use for the horsepower. Live in flat land, don't haul heavy loads or ever use the 4 wheel drive. Just need transportation down to the mailbox and around the pasture. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question regarding swapping the primary/drive clutch to the comet 780…. Did you see a gain in performance in terms of top end speed?  I have a the original CVTech clutch on my 2010 ASW 650 with a new predator 670 swap and I peak out at about 22 mph on flat ground.  It will pull the hills around me at 18+mph.  I would like to get a little more top end out of this cart - nothing crazy just 25 ~ 30 mph without sacrificing the hill climb speed.

Don't really know. I bought the lower profile 780 to give me some adjustment so I didn't have to slot out the mounting holes on the frame. Also gave me extra room to change the belt when I need to. The predator motor is very quick and fast. Don't regret the sawp. 

Can't really tellbecause of the stepdown in engine size. I will tell you that in the final hookup, I got itchy  to try it before all hookups were complete. Started it and it took off. Throttle went to wide open. Lucky that I was able to steer with left and reach back to the engine with right hand to shut it down. All I can say is that it was faster than I expected and more than I need.

Ok I appreciate the feedback.

I have another question - this one regarding the drive belt you folks are using on these.  The only part number showing on the belt itself is “R210 A024”.  I can not find this belt number from any supplier either online or at my local parts shop - not even a cross reference.  I know the CVtech clutch is set up for a belt 1 3/16” to 1 1/4l” belt.  The current belt I have is 1.20” wide, but I can not accurately measure the belt length.  It seems the belt has more deflection (about 3+”) than I would think is normal. At WOT the belt rides up the primary to about 1+” shy of the top of the sheeves and seems to only go about 1/2 way down the driven.

Any advice on an after market belt ( as American land master wants $116.00) would  be greatly appreciated .