Quantcast

Rear Diff

I have a 2006 2x4 Commando 650.

This past weekend I noticed a clunking type noise coming from the rear diff when turning sharp and more so when backing up in a turn. There does seem to be some side play. It is full of fluid. What should I look for before hunting season gets me stranded.

Are you driving around with your locker on all the time? This is especially tough in your machine if it's on pavement. Does it clunk when the locker is disengaged? How many miles on you machine? Can you tell how play? 1/8 th of a turn? Some play is normal. 

• Like 1

Correct, Commando always locked. I do drive on pavement some from cabin to the BLM  land but take it very easy when turning. I will drain fluid and check the Diff fluid for metal. I completely forgot about the CV jt could be the culprit and a WHOLE lot cheaper if they are available for my machine.

• 3 weeks later...

2x4 Commando 2006, 650cc.  with maual dump bed.

Looks like my LR CV is dry. I've pulled these CV's out of the Class 1 cars we ran so should be about the same principal with these I think. If any one has a you tube vid on pulling CV out and rebuilding that would be awesome. There still feels like a 1/2" of play maybe in the dif gears. Is that to much. Are the rear CV's available?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Kingfish
      The conversion took about 350lbs. off the vehicle.  It never rode great, but now I feel every  crack in the road.  I have backed off spring compression nut to the point just under where they would move around if suspension was at full extension, but it is still very stiff.  I would like to put some softer coilover springs on it, but I have no idea what the spring rate is with the original springs so I would just be guessing on what to order.  Does anyone have the data for the original spring compression rate?  I am willing to give up a little ground clearance for a softer ride. Right now when sitting still the rear suspension is at or near full extension and the rear tires have several degrees of camber which will cause uneven wear if allowed to continue in this state.
    • By Brett
      Fuel injected 700 starts great and idles great but touch the gas and it dies
    • By Browner010
      Recently I had an overheating issue on my 2022 Coleman Outfitter 550 (Hisun UT550) and to check to make sure it was fixed I took it out for a ride around the block. After a couple cycles on the LED coolant meter, I took it for a couple mile ride and on my way back I heard a loud metallic snap then a grinding noise. It was still able to move under its own power but very slowly. I was about 2 blocks from the truck so 'I limped it home and up onto the trailer. I know I need to tear it apart and look for what broke, but anyone have a guess as to where to start? I'm seriously getting tired of this damn machine! 750 miles on it and already replaced the belt, wet clutch, primary clutch, clutch roller weights among a few other things. Seriously, this friggin machine has spent more time on the lift than on the road. I thought I bought this new because it was from the owner of a tractor supply, but he registered it under the stores name making me the 2nd owner voiding any and all warranties.
      Any Ideas what to look for would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By shawn b
      my hisun died on me while driving it started losing power then stalled. it wants to start but wont . it didn't over heat. I replaced plug,fuel filter injector, and fuel pump.put code reader on it and says no codes. have any ideas possibly sensor? Any input on what it could be would be appreciated
    • By Jon V
      Good afternoon. When the timing chain came off its lower gear (previous owner had over-tightened the tensioner), I ordered new parts.. chain, oil-pump chain, tensioner etc.. But now that it's time to put it back together, the main crankshaft makes a clang noise and stops when you turn it by hand. I want to solve this before assembling everything. The camshaft cover is off so that the valves aren't being activated. Should the transmission be in neutral to turn the crankshaft? The engine was running fine until the chain came off the lower gear. Then it would spin when the starter motor engaged so I assumed the crankshaft was spinning. Any advice is appreciated.