Quantcast

Brake Bleeding Nightmare, any advice??

So I just spent 10 hours working on the brakes for my new mystery buggy, and still can’t get pressure. Never in my life have I had such a difficult time trying to bleed a brake system and i’m  a fairly competent mechanic. I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to try new master cylinders becuase these simply are not working... anyone have any tips for bleeding these wretches?

Do be offended if I state something you already know.  I'm just covering all bases.  This is how I bleed my brakes on my van and car.  My Renegade has three master cylinders (one for the clutch and two for the brakes - I believe that's how they're configured).

If you're doing it solo,

1.  Place a small glass jar at the wheel furthest from the master cylinders (usually the right rear). and fill the jar with about 1" brake fluid

2.  Connect a hose from the bleeder valve to the jar.  Make sure the end of the hose is submerged and fits snugly over the bleeder valve.  This will be your airlock.

3.  Fill the master cylinders with brake fluid.

4. Open the bleeder valve at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder (usually the right rear)

5.  Pump the brake pedal slowly about 3 times.  Important:  Make sure the hoses stay submerged in brake fluid at each wheel and you don't let the fluid level in the master cylinder drop to the point of pumping air into the brake lines.  You may find you can pump it more times before you have to refill the master cylinders.

6.  Refill the master cylinders and/or the jar as needed.

7.  Repeat steps 5 & 6 until you feel you've bled all the air out of that line.  If you have a helper, they can watch for air bubbles in the jar to cease.

8.  Close the bleeder valve at that wheel.

7.  Move to the next wheel (left rear) and repeat steps 3-7.  Then repeat for the right front, then the left front.

There are several websites that tell you how to bleed brakes.  I would suggest you take a look at them for pointers.  They can be of help.  You may have to bleed the master cylinders before you do the wheels.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So if you have not tried a vacuum pump do so before replacing your master cylinders ,  I have found over the last few years with the new brake systems this simple machine is a lifesend. The one I have is made by mightyvac and was about 50$ at my local auto parts store, as long as your master cylinder is full it will pull out all the air in a few minutes.

image.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Kingfish
      The conversion took about 350lbs. off the vehicle.  It never rode great, but now I feel every  crack in the road.  I have backed off spring compression nut to the point just under where they would move around if suspension was at full extension, but it is still very stiff.  I would like to put some softer coilover springs on it, but I have no idea what the spring rate is with the original springs so I would just be guessing on what to order.  Does anyone have the data for the original spring compression rate?  I am willing to give up a little ground clearance for a softer ride. Right now when sitting still the rear suspension is at or near full extension and the rear tires have several degrees of camber which will cause uneven wear if allowed to continue in this state.
    • By felo72
      Hello all. I purchased a brand new Massimo Buck 250 EFI in June for our farm and I've had the parking brake fail on me twice. I have approximately 250 miles on the vehicle. The first time was less than a month after receiving the UTV. We all of a sudden lost brake pressure and it would not start. I tracked the issue back to the parking brake. Upon removing the chain cover, I noticed the brake pad was missing and the caliper piston was touching the rotor. I found a set of brake pads online and replaced them myself. It's worked for several months and just happened again. Seems like a design flaw. I'm reaching out to see if there's an upgrade option available, or if I should replace the entire caliper with the brake pads? Thanks in advance for any advise.
      I submitted a warranty claim, so I'll keep this updated with what Massimo replies.
      When I replaced the brake pads the first time, back in July, my Son made a video on YouTube to show the unique caliper design. Here's a link if you wanted to check it out:

• By Browner010
      Recently I had an overheating issue on my 2022 Coleman Outfitter 550 (Hisun UT550) and to check to make sure it was fixed I took it out for a ride around the block. After a couple cycles on the LED coolant meter, I took it for a couple mile ride and on my way back I heard a loud metallic snap then a grinding noise. It was still able to move under its own power but very slowly. I was about 2 blocks from the truck so 'I limped it home and up onto the trailer. I know I need to tear it apart and look for what broke, but anyone have a guess as to where to start? I'm seriously getting tired of this damn machine! 750 miles on it and already replaced the belt, wet clutch, primary clutch, clutch roller weights among a few other things. Seriously, this friggin machine has spent more time on the lift than on the road. I thought I bought this new because it was from the owner of a tractor supply, but he registered it under the stores name making me the 2nd owner voiding any and all warranties.
      Any Ideas what to look for would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By A P
      Hi
      I have a 2022 hisun sector eps 550. 30amp fuse is blown for eps. Checked the motor and it’s fine. Opened up the controller and found a bad diode. Dealer wanted 500$ for the controller. Just posting this in case it helps someone. I couldn’t read numbers from the old one so just took a guess and replaced it with a 100v 3amp diode.