Quantcast

98 mule fuel pump leaking

Felixbot

I’m working on a 98 mule kaf620. The fuel pump failed. It was making a loud clicking noise and would not accelerate. I replaced it with the cheapest pump I could find on amazon. It failed after a few days. We bought another pump from fuel pump factory and installed it. It began leaking from the seam in the body after about 10 minutes. I contacted them and they sent another new pump. After installing it, same thing; leaking at the seam of the pump. I’m not sure how to move forward. Does this pump have some sort of internal bypass? Being an electric pump, it cannot run all of the time. What am I missing? 

Any help would really be appreciated, as a grandmother uses this to feed her cattle and is using a red wagon until it is fixed.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:45 PM, Felixbot said:

I’m working on a 98 mule kaf620. The fuel pump failed. It was making a loud clicking noise and would not accelerate. I replaced it with the cheapest pump I could find on amazon. It failed after a few days. We bought another pump from fuel pump factory and installed it. It began leaking from the seam in the body after about 10 minutes. I contacted them and they sent another new pump. After installing it, same thing; leaking at the seam of the pump. I’m not sure how to move forward. Does this pump have some sort of internal bypass? Being an electric pump, it cannot run all of the time. What am I missing? 

Any help would really be appreciated, as a grandmother uses this to feed her cattle and is using a red wagon until it is fixed.

Go to ebay and search for kawasaki mule 2510 or whatever model fuel pump. It will be an aftermarket drop in replacement. They are all the same up to 2007 and sell for about 15 or 16 dollars. Install new fuel pump with new filter. Make sure to plug hose from fuel filter to connector marked ( in)  on pump and hose to carb is connected to (out) on pump. Best take a syringe and prime new pump with fuel into hose from the top of tank. It will save starter and battery. It is normal for pump to make clicking noise. You can also put hand on pump and turn engine over and feel the pump working.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Travis said:

I looked, it was like $200+ if my memory serves me right

I'd try a few different brands of the aftermarket pumps. If none of those will hold up. Then maybe the oem is the best way. I know $200 bucks is a lot of money for that little pump.  But the oem lasted this long, and 22 years is a pretty good run. 

The only helpful suggestion that I could offer. Is that maybe someone who's got the time, and the internet search skills. Could possibly find out the manufacturer of the oem pump. Manufacturers typically offer lesser priced models of the stuff they produce. The only difference is packaging, and the brand. Certainly worth a try.