Quantcast

Massimo Buck 400 Check Engine Light

j.fulciniti

Hello Folks - newbie here with my first post so go easy on me.  I picked up a Buck 400 in May 2020 direct from Massimo when they were doing a closeout sale on the 400 models.  I read the reviews and was skeptical. 

We live in a golf cart community  we do not plan any off roading - just some very mild work tasks like hauling firewood / brush etc.  Honestly, all we do is cruise around our neighborhood roads.  I pulled the trigger b/c the price was cheaper than a 2WD lifted golf cart and the Buck  had way more features.

We have a few steep hills and after about 20 - 30 minutes of cruising, my check engine light comes on.  It only happens when we are going up or down one of the hills .  We head straight home and things seem fine the next day.  Light never comes on unless we tackle multiple hills during one ride.

Should I be worried?  

PS - Unit is 4 months old and has 258 miles on it - barely broken in.  I've yet to go full throttle on a flat or up a hill. 

I sent a message to them yesterday and have not heard back yet.    The engine does seem hot.   Doesn't happen all the time but it happens.  I'm sure they'll tell me to take it to the service place which is a PITA.

I'm handy but by no means a mechanic.  My buddy is so when he's in town next week I'll have him take a peek.

1/2 hour (I need to confirm they still service Massimo) but it's the borrow my neighbors trailer, drive out there on Sat, let it sit for XX days and go pick it back up.  That's the PITA factor I'd rather avoid.  I posted in that other thread to get a copy of the service manual.  I'll have my buddy take a peek first.  He can literally fix just about anything.  Oddly, he's an airplane mechanic by trade but works on cars, boats, etc 

Welcome to the forum!

I'd check for low oil pressure as well as the fuel system. There's a low oil pressure indicator, that would cause the engine light. I know of no such thing for fuel. If the engine is otherwise running good. 

As far as the heat issue, that might cause it. But I'll bet that you either have a temp guage, or a temp light. So that probably wouldn't pop the engine light.

However, I hope you've seen the other threads about jumping the cooling fan. For full time fan operation. Whether you choose to go that way or not. You should at least be aware of what others have found to be best practice. 

That's why I inquired about the heat indicator, whether it is a gauge or light, or an LED dash such as mine is equipped. I was just trying to eliminate the overheating issue. But if the tech at Massimo suggests that it could possibly be a fuel delivery issue, I would think they know best. But it seems to me that it's a little soon for a fuel delivery system problem. Is there an indicator of some sort for low oil pressure?

The more I think about it, it seems to happen on the decline VS incline.  But the same principal.   I've always gone straight home once the light comes on.     I parked it the other day, removed the seat and left it running.  The light did go off that day.

I have yet to set off the light driving on flats only but I've yet to push full throttle.  Our lake community has 25 MPH limit .

I'll continue to trial and error this before I take it for service. 

I think that's best. I'd find a way to check the oil pressure using an actual dial reading. Something that you can visually check as you drive. O'Reilly auto parts has a loan a tool program. Where you can probably find the necessary guage to check the pressure. Although you might have to buy an adapter.  The only issue would be finding a suitable place to plug into the block.

I'd also look for a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. That's where the fuel pressure guage goes. It will probably be at the very back if there is one. Not all fuel injection rails do.

If you take it in for service, you should ask about where these items would plug in. Because I really doubt that'll be in the service manual. And you should know this information. It will eventually come in handy. If not for yourself, then I know it'll be appreciated here.

The guage I'm thinking about is a diagnostic guage. It sounds like you're looking for a hard mount guage. They have most everything in guages that're electronic these days. I'm sure that the oil pressure isn't any different.  And supposedly the accuracy of the electrical versions of the guages are very reliable. I have no idea how the electrical version would communicate with the vehicle, to get that reading though. It would be the same as a car, I'm sure. So YouTube would probably have what you're looking for, to answer that question. The mechanical version plugs into the block, but it's a specific place. Each motor is different, so you'd have to find out where on yours would be best if you went that route. 

It's really a shame that these s×s manufacturers don't provide an access to the cpu. Something that you could hook up to a smartphone. You could monitor engine conditions, clear fault codes, change settings etc. But that would require spending as much as ten more dollars per unit lol. They could recoup any r&d cost on selling the app.

Yeah, it would be great if an owner could monitor what's going on with the unit. I have no idea what to do if, God forbid, I get a CEL. With my vehicles, I can just plug in the Bluedriver and check the codes. It will tell me what the code means, and even suggest some fixes. I don't know if there's even a port to plug in to. I try to do all the repairs and maintenance on my vehicles myself, but without any way to diagnose the issues, I have to use this site or bug the tech at Massimo for info. Kinda makes me feel odd, not having the ability to do things myself. 

Some kind of OBD2 or similar would be nice. I'm wondering what the tech does? Seems like since it's got fault code capability. It stands to reason that there's some way of getting to the computer. Mine is pre CPU, and a whole different brand altogether. But Kawasaki doesn't have a plug either I'd bet. Sure would simplify things though. 

I wonder if there is a flashing code with the CEL, or is it just a light that comes on? I guess the tech has a service manual and access to the manufacturer for any repairs. The older vehicles would flash a sequence, which could be interpreted using the manual or the internet to investigate what the code was for. Heck, there may be a port somewhere on the machine, but without a service manual I wouldn't know. That $75.00 fee is a bit steep for me, but if I can't locate one somewhere else, I will have to bite the bullet. These machines do have an on board computer of sorts, don't they?

4 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Hmmm...didn't know they offered a code reader, but I would think that the diagram provided by Joe Toup would be a much less expensive option, especially if you already own a code reader. I will have to check closer on that.

Do you have any idea where the port is located?

Don't know if theirs is a typical OBD2 code reader. If so, there's much cheaper options. I have no idea where the port might be. Except to guess that, like in a car, that it's in the driver's side compartment. If you have access to something that provides live data, that plugs into a standard OBD2 port. I'd give it a shot, see if it'll pair. You should keep us posted on the results. 

Follow up on my CEL. 

Saturday I took the 400 out on some back country roads with a few small hills and plenty of long straights.  I ran that thing fairly hard topping out at 37 MPH a couple times but still not full throttle.   I ran it long and hard (30 minutes +) and there was NO ISSUE with the CEL.  

Sunday, I took my grandson on a very short ride (5 minutes max) up a steep road near my house and then down the steep backside.  Damn CEL came on descending down the road.  

I'm convinced that driving down a prolonged steeper hill is causing that thing to go off.    I'll have to find some time and take it to a service center while it's still under warranty.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Jerrys500
      I wouldn't say that after a year of owning this thing, that I would go out and buy one again. Certainly one that was used and abused, but at the time I needed something and this was in my price range. I could tell that it would need some work. I however didn't know the half of it. This was my second UTV. The first one was and older American Sportsworks Carbide 7150 that was a total piece of junk. I got it for next to nothing and was a project piece. I got it running and rode it for a bit but it was way not what i needed and it finally burned up and was set aside. Anyways, so I bought this one from a farmer. I'm not positive of the exact model but it originally came from Tractor Supply. per the stickers on the bed and its a camo color. Upon first inspection when I got it home, it was a mess.
      1. Had a water leak - The leak was in two hoses one of which was a short one that came from the rear of the engine and I literally ended up cutting it off. Well getting another one on there took hours and was simply horrible.
      2. Had an oil leak - This is my concern today as I was never able to figure out for sure what it was going to take to fix it. More on that in a min once you have a full account of where i've been in this thing.
      3. Had a bad clutch - Replacing the entirety of the clutch system wasn't all that bad except its a tight space to work in to do this repair. was a pain to figure out the angle that I needed to get the cover off and then back on again but figured it out the second day and got it done.
      4. Had bad Universal Joints - this was a nightmare because they originally put 18mm ujoints in the thing which I was not aware of so when my parts came in of course I had the 20mm that they started putting in, from what I can understand, was the very next year. Finding the 18mm ones was all but impossible so I bit the bullet and did the full conversion to the 20's.
      5. Had bad Tie Rods.  - Tie rods were not a problem. However while in there I noticed that it was a little low on brake fluid. The fluid that was in there looked fresh. Sure enough there was a line leak there so i had to get new lines for it. I almost just ordered the master cylinder at that time but had seen the  fluid coming from the other end and thought yeah it should  be ok. That was a stupid decision. Yet another parts order to get one. Once delivered it was not a prob just replace, fill, bleed and good to go.
      6. This was about the time the panic set in. I needed to check the other oils and the final gear oil was mostly empty and what was in there I'm still not was sure was gear lube. Luckily after clearing it out and refilling it, there didn't seem to be any issues with the final gear. So far that is.
      7. So at this point I figured that it was ready for my first trek with it to the  gold claim and off  we went. This was a 14 day venture in the middle of nowhere over 300 miles from home. I had tested it over the course of 5 days and except for the oil leak it looked like all was good with the exception of blowing a little smoke. Day two in the sticks it decided to just die on us out of the blue. I checked the spark and it wasn't there anymore. The plug wire had come apart. I made one that worked until I could get a replacement. It still wouldn't start but I was getting spark. ended having to remove the fuel pump and clean it up. I then had to pull the fuel injector. I don't know why it ran when it did. It took over 4 hours of running brake parts cleaner and air through it before I could get any fuel to go through it. Luckily after that most of a day delay, I'm glad to report that it did its job rather nicely for the remainder of the trip.
      8. After that ordeal and in the neighborhood of about $800 or so for parts and oils and all it looked a little brighter. I did still have not only the oil leak to fix, it started blowing more and more smoke. I keep the oil up but it uses quite a bit. if used in a whole day I'm adding at least a half quart. Its made three trips now in this described state. The only new things are that it has gotten very difficult to shift which is likely that pair of shifting gears, the blowing of smoke that is almost for sure a sign that I have to rebuild the top end including the top end kit and do the valves at the same time. Now the oil leak. 
      So this leak I don't quite know the part names but it is coming out from around the shaft coming from the front of the engine. My diagram does not seem to show that there is a bearing in there but I would think there has to be. So I can't order a part that doesn't seem to exist. Now the part I still can't figure out is am I going to have to pull the motor and split the case to do this repair or with the four bolts in the housing will this pop out into my hand and be a simple replacement? Of course after removing that shaft which of its own was no fun because of the requirement of almost having to remove the entire differential to get it out.
      Sorry for the lengthy story but I think that it shows some of the pain of these things. I grew up riding dirt bikes, motorcycles, and three and four wheelers and I can say that none of them were ever as difficult to fix stuff as this Massimo is. Heck have done motorcycles from the frame up with modifications and it wasn't this difficult. Let me  qualify that statement, I'm speaking of Kawasaki, Honda, and Suzuki motorcycles only once did ever work on a Harley and thinking about it that was horrific as well.

Thanks for any words of wisdom besides junk this crap for a 17k to 30k upgrade. Only cause I'm 5'9 and my wife of 40 plus years is 6'1 and told me that i can't have the Kawasaki Teryx 1000 that I drool over. Getting old has really curbed her desire to deal with my toys over these four decades....
      Thanks for listening I look forward to and replies... Jerry

• By Tony P
      Twice my hisun has been driven a few miles and turned off back at home. Get back on it same afternoon and console is dead, no lights. 
      Have 12.7 vdc at battery and fuses are good. I hear relays click in the fuse box and main relay clicks but everything is dead. 
      Any ideas on what this may be? I've seen this problem before on this forum but it never finished. 
      Any help is always appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

• By Goat Quilter
      We pout new belts cleaned engine and carburetor plugs you name it.  Drove down road no problem came back uphill no power won’t go . What’s the issue? 

could it be clutch? 

frustrated in shop more than in use on farm 
    • By KidColeman
      Hi All,
      Just picked  up a 2020 UT400 that my 80 year old father will be driving around the farm.  We purchased the machine with a few "issues" and they lowered the price accordingly.  Small stuff like passenger size mirror and back reflector was torn off by a Tractor supply employee, which we will order replacements for.  Also after further inspection, whoever assembled it did not put a few bolts in the rollcage and aren't in the glovebox, so will be having to order those also.
      Anyway, there are two initial things on the UT400 I'm not sure what they are or for.  The first, there is a square white electrical connector with about 8 pins hanging form under the middle of the back bed - I don't see another one to match up or plug into it, so wondering if this is pre installed optional connection for like towing around a sprayer?  Anyone know what this is?  Also, there is a 10 inch black rubber hose that is zip tied to the back A frame on the passenger side.  I watched the assembly video and it doesn't mention one, so don't know what this hose is for - anyone know?
      Also, has anyone come up with a "fix" or work around for having to have the seatbelts plugged in or even in place?  We aren't planning on using them and are figuring just plugging them in and wedging them behind the seats - didn't know if there is a way to just disconnect the "over 10mph gas starving" safety sensor.
      Looking forward to seeing how this machine does for my father.   I'm thinking about installing a suicide knob on it for easier turning for him, as it's a little stiff (compared to our Kawasaki Mule).  Maybe with use it will loosen up some?
      Thanks!
    • By Alex
      This is an interesting read. ADAS is main stream on cars these days. The technology looks to be headed towards UTVs and Off-Road Vehicles.
      Potential Motors and CFMOTO USA have announced a new partnership to integrate advanced driver-assist systems (ADAS) into recreational off-road vehicles for the first time.
      Sam Poirier, CEO and co-founder at Potential Motors, says the integration of its technology into CFMOTO’s vehicles will set new standards in the side-by-side segment. (Photo: Potential Motors Inc.) The partnership will first see Potential’s tech integrated into CFMOTO test vehicles. The companies will conduct extensive real-world testing at Potential’s purpose-built off-road proving ground in Fredericton, Canada, and CFMOTO facilities.
      Source: https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2023/12/19/cfmoto-and-potential-motors-announce-industry-first-adas-technology-for-ohvs/