Quantcast

Coleman outfitter 550

I'm pretty sure there was an arrow indicating flow direction on the one I purchased. If there is not any indication (like the one you got) most likely it could flow either direction . I looked at the Amazon listing but there is no indication of micron size so I would be hesitant to use it. It seems the injectors on these Colemans (HiSun) are pretty finicky when it comes to filtration. 

• 1 year later...

Hi!  My father-in-law and mother-in-law just bought a Coleman Outfitter 550 from an elderly gentleman who didn't want his anymore.  The unit doesn't want to shift in to Reverse.  We know you have to press the brake pedal to be able to shift into reverse.  But the torsion spring connected to the brake pedal cable has too much give and isn't pulling the cable enough to allow them to shift into reverse.  Is this the correct spring?  There is too much slip on the bottom when the brake pedal is pressed that the cable isn't being pulled enough to allow them to engage Reverse.  Any suggestions?  Is there an adjustment that can be made somewhere to get this working reliably?

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Tejun said:

Its pretty crude but works great. Basically I used an all-thread that I bent 90 deg. Put a small split ring in the cable. I searched for a smaller (shorter) spring but was never successful in finding one.

shifter release1.jpg

shifter release2.jpg

That looks awesome!  I was thinking we were going to have to come up with a solution on our own and your solution looks like it is inexpensive, adjustable, and "do-able".  Thanks so much for the suggestion!

• 1 year later...

Late to this post but notice that oil change was in the commentary.

I think the Coleman Outfitter 550 uses a wet disk system that shares oil with the engine crank case.   Like some motorcycles. 

I think the oil used has to be compatible with JASO MA ratings like those for motorcycles.  

We just bought a used 2022 Coleman 550 outfitter, previous owner had issue with fuel filter melting, casing was plastic, Can we replace it with metal or should we remedy it a different way?

On 6/15/2024 at 4:55 PM, Alien10 said:

Late to this post but notice that oil change was in the commentary.

I think the Coleman Outfitter 550 uses a wet disk system that shares oil with the engine crank case.   Like some motorcycles. 

I think the oil used has to be compatible with JASO MA ratings like those for motorcycles.  

I used Royal Purple 10w 30 exclusively in my Coleman 550 for the entire time I had it. Changed the oil twice a year. After changing out the fuel lines and adding the 10 micron fuel filter, it was problem free for me. I put 1,300 miles on it exclusively on my property here in east texas. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SSFD said:

We just bought a used 2022 Coleman 550 outfitter, previous owner had issue with fuel filter melting, casing was plastic, Can we replace it with metal or should we remedy it a different way?

If you look back in this thread, I posted a pic of the filter I installed. It was a 10 micron metal filter.

I would consider moving the filter away from whatever heat source that was hot enough to melt the plastic.  There is no telling where a previous owner may have inserted the filter in the fuel supply line, perhaps close to something hot. 

32 minutes ago, Alien10 said:

I would consider moving the filter away from whatever heat source that was hot enough to melt the plastic.  There is no telling where a previous owner may have inserted the filter in the fuel supply line, perhaps close to something hot. 

It could be a combination of heat from engine and fuel pressure too high for the plastic filters.  Plastic filters are generally suited for gravity fuel feed or very low pressure. I did not measure the pressure on mine but I had initially installed a plastic inline filter and it immediately began to leak. That is why I chose to go with the metal filter.

• Like 1

The factory installed filters are above the fuel tank and shouldnt really be exposed to heat. Due to it being EFI and having higher fuel pressures I would recommend a metal filter. On the carbed models the fuel pressures are a lot lower and a plastic filter is ok. The price difference is negligible between the two, the only advantage of plastic is you can usually see the condition of the filter.

• Like 1