Quantcast

Hisun Sector e1 Battery replacement: any tips?

Well i took the dive and got x4 Allion GC2's. 
Very easy installation - virtually a battery swap as they are the same size. Only thing i had to do was make a couple of new cables, but that was easy enough.

As someone else earlier in the thread said - night and day from the Discover batteries. So much weight removed the E1 site higher and the steering is now very easy.

Max power is now available and it shoots up steep hills - something the Discover batteries never really did. Combo of weight removal and more power i think. All thats left is to update the Delta charger to a lithium profile, but so far, worth the $5k (Aus Dollars). 
If you are thinking of doing it, don't hesitate!

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, didgeridoo said:

Since I created this post, I have installed the new Lithium batteries into my Hisun Sector E1. It was really not too complex. Here's what I did:

Remove the seat. Remove the panel in front of the batteries (screws on top, and bottom, then loosened the outside panels to make it easier to remove). Then remove the plastic panel over the top of the batteries (you may not have to, but this gave me more room to work). I then removed the battery leads from the 6V batteries. For belt and suspender points, I wrapped the end of the battery leads as not to short anything out as I worked. The battery tie-downs were next and removed easily with a 17mm socket. The J hooks simply fell to the floor as the tie-down was removed (they are easy to put back in place). Finally, remove the batteries; it is easiest to remove the inboard batteries first, straight to the driver/passenger floorboard. The rearmost outboard battery was next, and it has to make a 90 degree turn to come out through the space vacated by the inboard batteries. Then the forward most outboard battery can come out easily. Remember, these batteries are heavy, so watch where your fingers, hands and feet are, as there may be sharp edges inside the battery compartment. Since the pack I got comes with a charger, I removed the onboard charger. Three bolts to remove from the charger from the frame, then pull the charge indicator light from the dashboard well. under the UTV, remove the plastic guard under the floorboard  (4 screws), and the wires from the charger go  through to the motor controller/battery harness.

Once the battery compartment was cleaned, it is time to install the new batteries. I wished I could have mounted them in the inboard battery tray, but the leads I had were not long enough to place the busbar where I wanted. I mounted the 4 batteries outboard, and made sure the connectors faced inward, with the battery indicator cable on the forward passenger side tray.  Since the EAGL batteries are shorter than the Discover batteries, I used a piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe and a fender washer to take up some room from the battery tie-down to the J-hook. I then ran the battery indicator wire to the dash, using the tunnel under the floorboard. Ziptie or otherwise secure the cable, as the driveshaft is in the tunnel, too, and you wouldn't want the cable to rub on the spinning shaft. With a rotary cutting tool (Dremel), I made a hole for the battery indicator on the dash and connected the wire. Then, to connect the battery to the busbar, I made all the positive and negative connections for the 4 battery leads, the motor controller lead, and the charge lead (all positives together, and all negatives together). I secured all the leads with zipties, and finally make the battery connections. The EAGL batteries have disconnect switches that need to be turned on. They also have blue LED voltage indicators, which, unfortunately, I cannot read since they are too close to the edge. I checked that each pack was on, then finally, started to reassemble the seat/battery compartment. 

Turned on the "ignition", put it in gear, and it worked! The gauge in the dash showing amp draw works, but the battery voltage indicator is probably not calibrated for LiFe batteries. With the big battery dot com kit, the lighted battery indicator should show the pack status.

I am still testing the battery packs, but I am happy so far. They allow me to keep speed up the hills (20MPH vs 10 or 12MPH). I haven't done a range test yet, but since the whole cart is nearly 350 pounds lighter, Im guessing that range will be improved over the old batteries. If I do need more range, I can install up to 3 more EAGL batteries before I have to relocate the busbar to add the 4th.

The stock DeltaQ IC1200 charger on the Hisun is really good; waterproof and high-wattage capable, and I wish I could have reused it. There is a way to update the charger to change the charge profile from Lead-acid to Lithium batteries, but there is not (yet) a profile for the EAGL LiFe battery, so I am using the charger purchased from big battery dot com.  Perhaps DeltaQ will make a profile in the future...

Remember to wear safety equipment, (gloves, goggles, etc) as you are dealing with batteries. While the Discover batteries are sealed, they are also vented, and precautions should be made in case some acid may have made its way out. Watch for sharp edges in the compartments. Make sure you don't cause any electrical shorts by bridging any positive and negatives as you are wrenching and ratcheting. Secure all wires to prevent chafing, rubbing, or other wear against vibration or moving parts.

Have fun, and good luck if you attempt a similar upgrade to Lithium packs on your Hisun EV!

Sounds like a lot of work compared to just filling mine with premium

48 minutes ago, Joe Breaux said:

It's gotten simpler since that first post now that GC2 form factor batteries are available. But to your comment, this is a one-time thing and is frankly because HiSun went with older technology batteries when it came out.

Now to "fill up" I just plug in to an outlet at the end of the day. No going to the station to fill up cans of gas, no fumes, no noise, no oil changes, no maintenance issues with all the additional little parts that keep a combustion engine going and tuned up, no worry that my UTV sat too long between uses and might not start or the gas needs stabilizer. I can even run electric loads like the light bars I installed without leaving an engine running and worrying about the little 12v battery. I've even considered adding a 2000W 48v dc to ac inverter to run power tools.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GNFO said:

It's gotten simpler since that first post now that GC2 form factor batteries are available. But to your comment, this is a one-time thing and is frankly because HiSun went with older technology batteries when it came out.

Now to "fill up" I just plug in to an outlet at the end of the day. No going to the station to fill up cans of gas, no fumes, no noise, no oil changes, no maintenance issues with all the additional little parts that keep a combustion engine going and tuned up, no worry that my UTV sat too long between uses and might not start or the gas needs stabilizer. I can even run electric loads like the light bars I installed without leaving an engine running and worrying about the little 12v battery. I've even considered adding a 2000W 48v dc to ac inverter to run power tools.

Problem with  that is theres no where to plug  in on cypress trees  where we ride trails   for  days sometimes.. I can go about 160 miles on a tank of gas .. and your  batteries  dont last forever .. To each his own tho..good  luck in the future

1 hour ago, Joe Breaux said:

Problem with  that is theres no where to plug  in on cypress trees  where we ride trails   for  days sometimes.. I can go about 160 miles on a tank of gas .. and your  batteries  dont last forever .. To each his own tho..good  luck in the future

I almost wrote that it depends on the use but I didn't want to make my comment too long. I can certainly see the need for a gas engine if you're traveling a long ways and away from civilization for days. I suppose portable solar panels and battery storage would work if you're traveling to a single campsite and are staying there for a while, but I'm not such a purist that I think that would be practical in most cases.

But for local work use around a property/ranch/farm, electric is ideal.

• Like 1

Ok, so after the new LifePo4's are in, the one wild card i though might crop up, has.

Before was dumb batteries with a smart buggy system. Now its smart batteries 'talking' to a smart buggy. If i have the new batts at 100%, when we leave our property we have a very steep hill for 100m's. The regen is trying to feed the full batts, but the batteries BMS is obviously just rejecting the charge as full, and throwing something at the buggy system, which the means the buggy throws up an error message  (5### - forgot to make a note of it). 

All power is lost, but easy to reset by simply turning ignition off/on again at bottom of hill. So questions are: 

• Has anyone experienced this?
  • If so - what have you done to fix it (we are simply charging to 95% instead of 100%) 
  • Anyone know how to disable the regen? We don't need it anyway.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

We have no fuel near us, so EV only option. Now a hybrid buggy would be good, best of both worlds until batt tech doubles in capacity...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BuggyBoy said:

Ok, so after the new LifePo4's are in, the one wild card i though might crop up, has.

Before was dumb batteries with a smart buggy system. Now its smart batteries 'talking' to a smart buggy. If i have the new batts at 100%, when we leave our property we have a very steep hill for 100m's. The regen is trying to feed the full batts, but the batteries BMS is obviously just rejecting the charge as full, and throwing something at the buggy system, which the means the buggy throws up an error message  (5### - forgot to make a note of it). 

All power is lost, but easy to reset by simply turning ignition off/on again at bottom of hill. So questions are: 

• Has anyone experienced this?
  • If so - what have you done to fix it (we are simply charging to 95% instead of 100%) 
  • Anyone know how to disable the regen? We don't need it anyway.

Cheers.

Since it's unique to just the particular situation of starting the day at the top of a hill with a full charge, couldn't you put it in neutral and just use the brakes until you get to level ground?  After that regen won't matter.

That's essentially what EV cars do if they start with 100% batteries, it's just that the computer interface with the BMS is better so it's automatic. Changing the regen of the UTV would probably take a motor controller software change.

18 hours ago, BuggyBoy said:

We have no fuel near us, so EV only option. Now a hybrid buggy would be good, best of both worlds until batt tech doubles in capacity...

I like the hybrid idea but EV IS NOT PRACTICAL. Here, and solar don't charge in the rain..Dino fuel is king..

On 5/16/2024 at 2:10 PM, Jamie Wilson said:

Wanted to give my info here so its documented and others know. I have had issues since day one with my Discover batteries on my Sector E1. The issue was the dealer i purchased it from was 3 hours away and both them and Hisun said i would need to bring it back to figure it out. after 3 years almost I was so tired of the low voltage errors "45C3" that i decided to replace the batteries. It was so much money and so many different stories/opinions I wasn't sure what direction to go. Last min i found Litime.com they had 51.2v 30Ah Lithium batteries. I reached out and they said they would be a direct replacement for the Discover batteries. So I ordered them. They emailed me back and as I found on the interwebs - contradicting information they said "These will not work, please deny the shipment or use for another project. The HP of your UTV is too much". Well I didn't listen and i accepted the shipment. Yesterday i took out my 8 Discover and replaced them with 4 51.2v 30Ah LiTime batteries. I installed them in parallel, I did a algorithm update on the Delta iQ 1200 using profile 233 (Closest settings to the LiTime Battery). and BOOM! it worked, and it worked like NEVER before! its so fast, two grown adults up the hill and hardly any drop, but best part at 50% charge it was showing ZERO errors. I would estimate the cart is about 2" taller now too b/c of the battery weight removed. I will update in a few weeks how they are doing. but as of now i would totally recommend and they were like $499 a battery b/c they have a sale currently taking 100 off each battery. 

Did you need to buy anything else or was this just a battery replacement and reprogram of the Delta iQ? Did the current 'charger/plug' work? Any other changes or purchases required?

1 hour ago, Jarheadtx said:

Did you need to buy anything else or was this just a battery replacement and reprogram of the Delta iQ? Did the current 'charger/plug' work? Any other changes or purchases required?

Can’t speak for others but the Allion batts were straight swap, everything worked. Had to make a couple of longer leads, and since changed DeltaQ to Lithium profile, but essentially a drop-in system. About three hours all up. 
Amazing performance now and getting 400a draw on dash meter when up very steep hill with four people in, so finally using the systems full potential. Very happy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuggyBoy said:

Can’t speak for others but the Allion batts were straight swap, everything worked. Had to make a couple of longer leads, and since changed DeltaQ to Lithium profile, but essentially a drop-in system. About three hours all up. 
Amazing performance now and getting 400a draw on dash meter when up very steep hill with four people in, so finally using the systems full potential. Very happy. 

Out of curiosity, those batteries state a max continuous of 60A each and 100A for 10 seconds, so per just the specs you should be seeing 240A continuous and 400A for 10 sec. Are you actually getting better than that?

Also, how are you fitting 4 people in that thing? 🙂

3 minutes ago, GNFO said:

Out of curiosity, those batteries state a max continuous of 60A each and 100A for 10 seconds, so per just the specs you should be seeing 240A continuous and 400A for 10 sec. Are you actually getting better than that?

Also, how are you fitting 4 people in that thing? 🙂

No, that’s what I’m getting - but original Discover batts never even got to 400a.

2 kids, 2 adults…it’s a squeeze but it’s only for about 5 mins from water to top of island we live on. 

• Like 1